The movie I’ll be analysing is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was directed by Alfonso Cuaron and based on the novel by JK Rowling. It was written by Steve Kloves and produced by Chris Columbus. It stars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson.
Original movie poster:
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of AzkabanThe original target audience for Harry Potter has been a huge discussion for many people. Some believe it’s for children, some believe it’s for young adults, some believe it’s for everyone. They are considered family movies for many, so I believe the original target audience ranges from children to young adults.
The artwork as seen as above is very straightforward. The 3 characters are on the front which immediately tells you who the main characters are. The title of the movie is at the top is in a unique font which is immediately recognisable for people who are fans of Harry Potter and have watched the first 2 movies. The text immediately catches a person’s eyes. Then there’s other parts of the poster that you don’t really notice unless you look at it carefully like the wanted poster on the bottom right corner and a creature at the back flying.
I first was going to create a poster for a documentary called ‘The Square’. I came up with a lot of different ideas and tried to create some but I wasn’t happy with my ideas.
Below is one edit I did which was really simple.
After this I decided to think of something else to create a poster for. After going back and forth over a lot of movies I decided to make a poster for Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban. I decided on this movie because I recently rewatched it and when I did a bit of research on the original poster, I realised that a lot of important characters/creatures from the movie was missing from the poster. It didn’t really give you an idea of what it was about. So I looked up a lot of fan art online to get some inspiration and found this:
I really liked this drawing and decided to try and draw it myself. I still didn’t have a full idea of what I wanted but I knew I wanted it to be something that includes this creature from the movie that was a huge part of it.
Once I drew it I decided I wanted to cut it out to get template of it. So I used the laser machine to do this. Below is what I got out.
After this I ran out of time and decided I’d work on it next week. During the week I was trying to come up with a final idea, and the day before the lesson I was told that the deadline would be the lesson back. So I went to the classroom got my work and decided to work on it at home and do something with the limited resources I had at home.
First I decided to draw it again and try and do something slightly different. Below is the drawing I wanted to paint around it but I didn’t have the resources so I decided to leave it and go back to the work I had done in class, and try to figure out something with it.
After a lot of thinking about what I wanted the title to be I got an idea. The title of the movie is Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban, and in the original movie promotional work, there isn’t much about the ‘Prisoner Of Azkaban’, so I thought if I could get the wanted poster in the movie and draw that, and then add the work I had done around it, making it look like the character is behind ‘Bars’. Below is a poster that you see in the movie. I wanted to draw it so I tried to find a more simple version of it. Below is a black and white version of the poster which I drew.
After this I put it together. Below was my final product.
On the lesson back I found out that the deadline is actually next week. So I still have a lot of time to work on it. Although I was happy with my product I decided to work on it a bit more. At first I thought about adding a light to it inside, but I decided I wanted to add a title to it. I went online to get a generator to create a title, below is what I got.
After this I got some cardboard, measured it to get it the same size as my work, and used the laser machine to get the text engraved into it. The first one I did as you can see below didn’t come out right. It was too close to the edge.
I did it a second time and got it right, and then painted it.
Finally, I’m going to stick this to the back of my final work.